Thursday, July 12, 2012

Not your ordinary jewelry box!


My Grandmother lived with my mom and step dad for a few years and the time came when she needed to be moved into an assisted living home. When they did this they went threw her stuff, sold some of it, kept some of it and gave some of it away. Out of all her stuff I received this jewelry box. You can tell by they type of box that it isn't old. So why is this box so special? Well this box has all of her buttons that fell off of clothes and broken jewelry.  I know when my mom asked me if I wanted it she sounded a little hesitant. Who would want a jewelry box of broken things? A normal person would not be excited by this but I was! What could I make with all of this stuff? 




Since I have worked with Amate Studios in the past I have some of their wonderful jewelry blanks. I knew that I had some of their Designer Series ring blanks and could make some rings with the buttons.




 Some of the buttons had flat back and some had a ring to thread through. The buttons with a flat back I used their flat ring blanks and attached the button with Dazzle Tac Jewelry Glue by Beacon. The buttons with a ring to thread threw I used the bezeled ring blank and filled the well with the glue and then set the button inside. I could have cut the ring off of the buttons but I didn't want to take the extra steps to cut and file to make sure that it would fit right on the flat ring blank. All of the rings needed to dry for at least 24 hours before wearing. I hope this inspires you to look at your broken jewelry a little differently! 





No comments:

Post a Comment